How to Connect Nintendo Switch to Laptop | Hdmi Dock for Nintendo Switch
Laptops are a popular choice for students, professionals, and gamers. Whether you’re looking for a new one or just need help with a particular problem, you’ve come to the right place.
A few years ago I bought a Nintendo Switch. I was incredibly excited to play the games I had been waiting for months to buy. The only problem was, I didn’t know how to connect Nintendo Switch to Laptop.
This was the result of a lot of research online.
We cannot connect the Nintendo Switch to the laptop directly. The Nintendo Dock is the sole method to connect a Nintendo Switch to another device. The Dock includes an HDMI output connection, and the Switch is linked to TVs or monitors using HDMI cables.
Fortunately, the HDMI output connection is also available on the laptop. That is, both the Dock and the Laptop can send data/screen to other devices that support HDMI input, but they cannot receive any input through the HDMI.
Here’s how to fix it.
What are the things you need to connect a switch to a laptop?
Although a laptop isn’t designed for this purpose, it can be used. However, we will need some things to make it work. Here are the items you’ll need to connect your Nintendo Switch to your laptop to be used as a monitor.
- The Nintendo Dock
- Video Capturing Cards
- HDMI Cable
- Video Capturing Software
- A laptop and the Nintendo Switch are both possible.
The Nintendo Dock connects your Switch to a smart television to enjoy a large display. This is similar to a TV connection. Your Nintendo Switch will remain in the dock for the entire time.
If you purchase your Nintendo Switch from an official retailer or company, you will receive a dock. If you don’t have one, you may order one online.
Video Capturing Card
This will require a video capturing device, which is commonly used by gamers to stream on various platforms. You can either use any video acquisition card or one of the most popular options, the Elgato Video Capture Card, which is the most reliable, top-selling, and most affordable option on the market. It is important to ensure that your HDMI Out and HDMI In ports are compatible.
An HDMI cable would be a great option to share audio and video with your laptop. A high-quality HDMI cable is often included with the Switch. It can be used for all kinds of purposes. If you don’t have a cable or you lose it, you can purchase a new one.
Software for Video Capture
You can find a variety of premium and free software online. Elgato’s free video capture software is a common recommendation. The free version allows streaming at 1080p or 720p high-quality. The official Elgato software and video capture card will eliminate any lag.
These steps will help you connect your Nintendo Switch.
How to Connect Nintendo Switch to Laptop
- Disconnect the HDMI cable for the Nintendo Switch from your TV.
- Connect the HDMI cable from the Nintendo Switch to the HDMI port of your Elgato HD60 HDMI capture device.
- The entire process can consume a lot of power, so make sure to connect your Nintendo Switch dock and laptop to a power source.
- Open Game Capture HD on your laptop.
- Press the Home button on any connected controller to turn on your Nintendo Switch console.
- The USB cable included with the Elgato HD60 can be connected to your computer via the USB cable.
- Within Game Capture HD, your Nintendo Switch home screen should appear within a matter of seconds.
- Elgato’s Game Capture HD software won’t detect your Nintendo Switch. Check that the HDMI cable is connected to the capture card’s in port rather than the out port. It should be on either side of the USB cable.
- Choose the Fullscreen Game Capture HD icon in the top-right corner. The program should take up the entire screen.
- Take care not to touch your keyboard or mouse. The Nintendo Switch footage will automatically fill the screen. Your Nintendo Switch games can be played on your laptop in the same way as on a TV.
If your laptop can not connect to your Nintendo Switch using this method, there are two options. You have the option of resetting your laptop or installing Nintendo games on it.
You will need to find a solution if your laptop is too old to be used as a monitor. It is possible to change the laptop, as most modern laptops can do this.
Many popular Nintendo Switch games are also available for Windows, which may pique your interest. There are multiple games that you can download and purchase from the Xbox store under the “Xbox Play Anywhere” category. You will only need to pay for one game.
It might be tempting to wonder if your laptop could be used as a monitor on your switch console. Although it is possible, you will need an HDMI cable, which is rare. A Capture Card is the best way to connect your Switch to your laptop.
I hope you have successfully learned how to connect Nintendo Switch to Laptop. Good luck!