How To Use Tablet as Second Monitor
There are a lot of great reasons to use a tablet as a second monitor. For one, it’s a lot cheaper than buying a second monitor. Plus, it’s much more portable, so you can take it with you if you need to.
Also, many tablets have features that make them ideal for use as a second monitor, such as a high-resolution display and a built-in touchscreen.
Part 1 – How to Use Tablet as Second Monitor on a PC
Method 1 – Spacedesk
This tutorial makes use of an application from a third-party company known as Spacedesk. Although it’s a reputable tool, however, you should be aware that any application from a third party that allows you to share screens could be able to monitor what’s displayed.
We do not recommend using third-party screen-sharing apps for any task that requires absolute security. Follow the instructions below to transform your Android tablet into a second monitor.
- Start a web browser and go to the Spacedesk site.
- Hit Download, and then download the latest version that comes with the Spacedesk driver
- Run the Spacedesk driver installer after downloading is complete.
- Follow the Spacedesk installation instructions that are displayed on the screen to complete the installation.
- Go to Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Search and download Spacedesk
- Ensure that your Windows computer and Android tablet are both connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Launch Spacedesk on your Android device
- The Spacedesk application will display the computers connected to the local network.
- Select the computer you wish to connect with the Android tablet.
- Your Android and PC will establish a connection, once done, you can extend your screen to the new monitor
You can further personalize the experience by changing the display settings in Windows.
Method 2 – Splashtop Wired XDisplay
To make use of the Android tablet as a second monitor, follow the instructions below:
- Install the Splashtop Wired XDisplay app on your PC. To ensure compatibility, be sure to select the correct version of the app for your operating system.
- Follow the on-screen directions to install the application.
- Install the app on an Android tablet.
- Connect the two devices with the help of a USB cable.
- Use the Android tablet for a second monitor.
Part 2 – How to Use Tablet as Second Monitor on Mac
Method 1 – iDisplay
The most effective monitor mirroring and extension application available on your Mac can be found in the iDisplay. What you have to do to turn your Android screen into a second monitor on your Mac is:
- Download the iDisplay drivers on their website.
- Allow iDisplay to modify your device.
- To install iDisplay on Mac, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Restart your Mac if prompted.
- Download the iDisplay application via the Google Store.
- Start it up on the Android device. The app will begin searching on nearby devices.
- Make sure you connect your Android device to your Mac.
- Select between the Additional Monitor or Mirrored Monitor.
It is also possible to use iDisplay on Windows or iPhone devices. Make sure that both devices can be connected to the same wireless network. It is possible to use iDisplay to connect more than three or four monitors.
Additionally, you can join multiple devices at the same time, although this is only applicable to Mirror Mode.
Part 3 – How to Use Tablet as Second Monitor for Linux
The majority of screen mirroring and extending applications are Windows and Mac-compatible. But Linux users can use the Deskreen application. Additionally, the app allows you to make use of multiple displays simultaneously.
To allow this to function, you’ll need 5-GHz wireless or Ethernet. After you’ve downloaded the application onto the device you’re using for Linux, here’s the next step to take:
- Get this Deskreen application on your Linux.
- Right-click the downloaded file to navigate there to properties.
- Check the allow the file runs as an application box.
- Start the application to run the app on Linux. There’s a barcode on the screen and a link in the window.
- Copy the link to the mobile app or scan the barcode.
- Connect both devices.
- Click the Allow button.
- Choose Share Screen View or Share App View.
- Confirm that you want to use your Android device to share your Linux display.
With Deskreen, you are able to connect to 5 GHz Wi-Fi and Ethernet to connect the two devices, as well as connect them using a USB cable. The app is free and very easy to use.
Part 4 -How to Use Tablet as Second Monitor Through a USB Cable
The third-party applications listed above may be utilized with a USB cable. This is more efficient in cases where you do not have an internet connection. To download one of these apps, it is necessary to be connected to the Internet.
Basically, whatever app you decide to use, this is the way to use it via a USB cable:
- Make connections between your Android device to the computer or laptop using the USB cable.
- Download the app you want to download onto your computer.
- Follow the instructions on the screen for how to install it.
- Download the app to your Android application.
- Connect to the two devices.
It is recommended that you not unplug the USB screen when you’re connecting your monitor. Because USB is an alternative and the USB technique is possible, you may make use of Wi-Fi to keep the connection between the two devices. Be sure to use exactly the same WiFi.
Can I Install an Android Emulator on iOS Without a Jailbreak?
How to connect multiple bluetooth speakers android Device
People Also Asked
What are the advantages of using a tablet’s screen as a second monitor?
A tablet can be a great second monitor for your PC. It’s portable, so you can take it with you to different places, and it’s usually cheaper than buying a second monitor.
Plus, you can use it for other things, like browsing the web or reading, when you’re not using it as a second monitor.
How can I create a dual monitor setup with my iPad or Android tablet?
You can use your iPad or Android tablet as a second monitor for your Windows or Mac computer using the apps Duet Display and iDisplay, respectively. Both apps work in a similar fashion: you install an app on your computer and tablet and then connect the two devices using a USB cable.
Once they’re connected, your tablet’s display will appear on your computer, giving you extra screen real estate to work with.
Is there any difference between using iPads and Android tablets as secondary monitors?
Yes, there are some differences. iPads can be used with apps that are specifically designed for use as a second monitor, whereas Android tablets may not have as many options available.
Also, the iPad’s screen size is generally larger than that of an Android tablet, making it more suitable for use as a primary monitor. Finally, the iPad’s battery life is typically longer than that of an Android tablet, making it more convenient to use as a secondary monitor.
Can I use an android device to mirror my external monitor?
There are a few apps that allow you to use your Android device as a second monitor for your Windows 10 computer. The best one we’ve found is iDisplay. It’s available for free on the Google Play Store, with a $5 pro version that removes the ads.
If you’ve ever wished you could have a second monitor while working on your computer, an Android tablet can be the next best thing.
You can use it to display extra information, play video or music, or even use it as a touch-screen input device. It’s not quite as good as a real monitor, but it’s a lot more convenient than lugging one around.
Does using my tablet as a secondary display require mobile data network access all the time, or just occasionally for updates and new features?
Yes, a mobile data network connection is required to use your tablet as a second display. However, only occasional updates and new features require an active connection.
For example, you’ll need to be connected to download new wallpapers or use certain features.
Will lag times be an issue when connecting multiple devices via wireless networks for use with this type of setup?
Theoretically, there should be no lag time when using a wireless connection to connect multiple devices as a second monitor.
However, it is important to test the setup with the specific devices and software being used to ensure compatibility and to determine if any lag time does exist.
Additionally, it is important to have a strong and reliable wireless connection to avoid any potential issues.
Tablets can make great second monitors, providing additional screen real estate for work or play. While not as large as a desktop monitor, a tablet’s portability and touchscreen capabilities can be a real asset. Connecting a tablet to a desktop or laptop is usually a simple affair, and there are a number of apps available to help with the process.